In a clip from director Alex Holder’s documentary, obtained by CNN, Pence featured an email from a member of his team that includes a House draft resolution demanding Pence invoke the 25th Amendment to remove Trump from power, according to the documentary.
“Yes, excellent,” Pence says to his aide as the phone is emailed to him. Then he offers a sore smile and asks the assistant to “ask Zack to print me a hard copy for the flight home.” Then Pence collects himself for the rest of the interview.
The following clip shows Pence saying, “I’ve always been optimistic about America,” along with background to crews erecting a security fence around the Capitol.
The footage of Pence’s interview, which has not been previously released, was taken less than a week after pro-Trump rioters stormed the US Capitol in an attempt to stop ratification of Joe Biden’s election victory. Pence had to be evacuated to safety amid calls from rioters to “hang Mike Pence.”
In the short clip of the documentary due to be released by Discovery Plus, which is owned by CNN’s parent company, Pence did not comment on the content of the decision. But the video is a small sample of the additional content now in the commission’s possession. However, the documentary states that during his interview, the former vice president refused to discuss anything related to January 6.
Holder, the director, appeared Thursday behind closed doors for a briefing to the January 6 panel, which likely asked him what he had observed over the course of nearly six months when he had behind-the-scenes access to key Trump figures and even the former president himself.
In one clip from an interview with Trump in March 2021 at Mar-a-Lago, the former president was asked directly what happened on January 6.
“Well, it was a sad day, but it was a day when there was a lot of anger in our country, and people went to Washington mainly because they were angry about an election they thought was rigged,” Trump said.
“A very small part of them, you know, went down to the Capitol, and then a very small part of them came in,” Trump continued. “But I will tell you that they were angry from the point of view of what happened in the election, because they are smart, they see, they saw what happened. And I think that was a big part of what happened on January 6.”
Holder’s “Unprecedented” three-part documentary series on the 2020 elections will air on Discovery Plus later this summer. The documentary includes never-before-seen footage of the Trump family during the election campaign and their reactions to the election result.
Trump and his allies have yet to publicly respond to news that Holder has been summoned by the committee or revealing what was said in interviews now in the panel’s possession.
The documentary includes interviews with Trump as well as three of his sons: Ivanka, Don Jr and Eric, according to clips released by Discovery Plus and obtained by CNN.
Like Trump, his family members speak directly to the camera in the footage. The interviews can provide new insight into what those close to the former president said in the lead-up to and after January 6th.
In one short clip obtained by CNN from December 2020, Ivanka Trump told the director, “As the president said, every voice must be counted, and it must be heard. He campaigned for the voiceless.”
These comments seem to contradict the sentiments she expressed in the documentary interview.
The documentary also features Pence talking in detail about Trump’s selection process for vice president. He talks about Trump inviting his family to his property in Bedminster, New Jersey and playing golf with the then-GOP candidate as part of his audit.
The documentary then notes how Trump attacked Pence on January 6 when rioters called for him to be hanged, before turning into an interview clip from Trump.
“I think I get along well with people, unless they don’t treat me well, in which case you go to war,” Trump says.
This story has been updated to include the letter Pence sent to House Speaker Pelosi refusing to invoke the 25th Amendment.