NEW YORK (Associated Press) – A New York judge said Wednesday he would lift a contempt of court order against Donald Trump if the former president met certain conditions, including paying $110,000 in fines for his slow response to the court’s subpoena. The state attorney general.
Judge Arthur Engoron said he would lift the filing with conditions Trump’s result is contempt If, by May 20, Trump submits additional papers detailing efforts to search for subpoena records and explain his and his company’s document retention policies. The judge also requires that the company that Trump hired to help with the research complete its work.
Engoron found Trump in contempt on April 25 and fined him $10,000 a day for failing to comply with a subpoena for documents issued by New York Attorney General Letitia James.
James, a Democrat, says her investigators have found evidence that Trump’s company miscalculated the value of assets such as skyscrapers and golf courses in financial statements for more than a decade.
Trump denied the allegations and called James’ investigation a “racist” and “witch-hunt”. James Black.
The total amount that Ingoron ordered Trump to pay is the amount of fines cumulated until last Friday, when Trump’s attorneys filed 66 pages of court documents detailing efforts he and his attorneys are making to locate the subpoenaed records. Engoron can return the fine if conditions he set on Wednesday are not met.
Also Wednesday, the state appeals court is set to hear oral arguments in Trump’s appeal in another subpoena: Ingurun ruling on February 17 demands answers to questions Under oath in the investigation of James.
She left a message asking for comment with Trump’s lawyer.
James asked Engoron to prosecute Trump in contempt of court after he failed to provide any documents to meet the March 31 deadline to meet the terms of the subpoena.
James’ office sought numerous documents, including paperwork and communications relating to Trump’s financial statements, financing and debt for a Chicago hotel project and development plans for a Seven Springs property north of New York City, and even communications with Forbes magazine, in which it sought. Refine his image as a wealthy businessman.
Trump’s attorney, Alina Heba, said in the May 6 filing that responses to the subpoena were complete and correct and that no relevant documents or information had been withheld.
Hba conducted searches of Trump’s offices and venues at his golf club in Bedminster, New Jersey, and his residence in Mar-a-Lago, Florida, according to the filing, but found no relevant documents that weren’t actually there. produced. The registry also contains detailed searches of other locations including file cabinets and storage areas at the Trump Organization’s offices in New York.
In a separate affidavit with the filing, Trump stated that there were no relevant documents not actually submitted.
He added that he owns two cell phones: an iPhone for personal use that he submitted in March to be searched as part of the subpoena, then submitted again in May; As well as a second phone that he recently acquired and is only used to post on Truth Social, the social network he started after being banned from Twitter, Facebook and other platforms.
Engoron’s criteria for filing a contempt case were largely in line with conditions set by James’ office in its response Monday to a lengthy filing last week in which Trump and his legal team said they had exhausted their efforts to find subpoena records.
Those conditions that James’s office sought are: Trump providing another affidavit detailing his and his company’s retention and destruction policies for his documents and electronic devices; And allowing the offshore company that Trump has hired, HaystackID, to finish going through 17 boxes kept in an off-site storage facility, and for that company to issue a report on its findings and turn over any relevant documents.