Liverpool win FA Cup final after beating Chelsea on penalties

For all his qualities – extreme pressure, defensive solidity, stormy attacks – perhaps his best part is a sense of drama on occasions like this.

Just as happened in the League Cup final earlier this year at Wembley, Jürgen Klopp’s men He needed penalties to say goodbye to Chelsea and lift some trophies in the same stadium.

Although the Reds are unlikely to become the first English team to win all three domestic competitions and the European Cup, a four-way win is still possible thanks to this FA Cup win.

Two glasses in the closet this season, room for two more. This is why Liverpool fans dream. History can still be made.

Just as in the League Cup final, the 120 minutes without goals belied the quality of the match. Chances were created, goal posts shocked, but it is perhaps fitting that on the 150th anniversary of football’s oldest cup competition, the final was decided in the most theatrical way.

Liverpool's Greek defender Kostas Tsimikas was the likely hero in the penalty shootout.

Chelsea missed the second penalty kick (César Azpilchetta), and the fifth penalty kick for Liverpool (Sadio Mane). There was a sense of déjà vu because the first 10 penalties could not decide the outcome, so the match died suddenly – the League Cup final ended 11-10 on penalties and the goalkeepers needed to step up.

However, fewer kicks were needed this time around, as Alisson Becker saved a penalty for Mason Mount, giving Kostas Tsimikas the chance to become the unexpected champ.

The Greece international isn’t a key player for Liverpool, but he quietly shines to spark joyous celebrations from those in red.

Liverpool swept through Tsimikas, coach Jurgen Klopp rushed towards his men and fans set off flares to saturate the air with shades of red.

The club’s anthem “You’ll Never Walk Alone” reverberated throughout the stadium as Liverpool fans sang the team that gave them their first FA Cup win at Wembley in 30 years.

That’s the level of the Liverpool squad, however, and the celebrations should be short-lived as there are other challenges on the horizon – the Champions League final at the end of the month, and two Premier League games to try and do it. Fix Manchester City’s three-point advantage at the top of the league.

Liverpool fans can celebrate their first FA Cup win since 2006.

Plenty of Opportunities

Even a traditional occasion like this – a band before kicking off, the Kings present the trophy – acknowledges world events.

Like many major sporting events, political statements were made. First, Liverpool fans booed the English national anthem, then captains and officials stood with the Ukrainian flag on which the word “Peace” was written in large black letters, and before the start of these older competitions, the players got to their knees.

The match was just minutes ago when Liverpool got their first chance. In truth, the red men should have scored at least once, this was their dominance in the first 15 minutes, but Thiago, outstanding Luis Diaz, Mohamed Salah and Mane stumbled in front of goal.

Although Chelsea played second fiddle for most of the first half, the Londoners arguably had their best chance in that period with a world-class save from Liverpool’s Alisson – a dip low to Marcos Alonso’s feet – preventing them from moving forward. .

The early exit of Salah, Liverpool’s top scorer this season, through injury, increased Liverpool’s sense of anxiety as the half progressed, but even without the Egyptian, the Reds were able to reassert their dominance before the break.

Indeed, Salah’s replacement, Diogo Jota, should have put Klopp’s men ahead before the break.

Mohamed Salah was a big waste for Liverpool as he left injured.

Just as Liverpool did in the first half, Chelsea got off to a great start in the second. Once again, Alonso was denied entry on the scoresheet, this time with the crossbar as his dangerous free kick hit the woodwork.

Two of the best teams in English football were going toe-to-toe and there were opportunities aplenty: Jota, Diaz and Andy Robertson for Liverpool; Christian Pulisic (twice) for Chelsea.

He was breathless. It was entertaining. It created a great atmosphere as both groups of fans cranked up the decibel on a beautiful summer evening in London.

All that was missing was a goal. Minutes passed, substitutes came, errors crept into the tired legs play, yet no one was able to find the net.

Diaz looked up at the sky as the impressive Edward Mendy stopped for another chance for him, this one in the 82nd minute, and his gesture reflected the feelings of all the fans who were watching: Will either of the two guards be hit?

Robertson hit the post seven minutes before the end of the match before Diaz hit the goal again. But with the full-time whistle blown, the match – despite all the chances and all the entertainment – remained goalless.

Inevitably, the energy waned in overtime and few opportunities occurred with penalties very high on the horizon.

Chelsea again, still under UK government sanctions, It suffered its toughest defeats, becoming the first team to lose three consecutive FA Cup finals.

“We are sad, but at the same time proud to leave everything on the pitch,” coach Thomas Tuchel said after the match.