Occupation police attack the funeral procession of journalist Sherine Abu Aqla

Israeli forces attacked the funeral procession of a Palestinian-American journalist shot dead this week, kicking and hitting people with batons and causing mourners carrying her coffin to lose balance and fall to the ground.

Police said the mourners were “disturbing public order”. Video footage showed the coffin Al Jazeera Reporter Shireen Abu Akleh rests on the shoulders of mourners outside St. Joseph Hospital in Israeli-annexed East Jerusalem as police rushed in and attacked people, many of whom carried Palestinian flags. The sound of a stun grenade could be heard.

Israel bans Palestinian flags from being raised in public, often preventing people from flying them at rallies and protests in the city.

A prominent Palestinian official, Hanan Ashrawi, wrote on Twitter, that “the savage Israeli special forces are fiercely attacking the funeral procession carrying the coffin” of Abu Akle as he left St. Joseph Hospital. “Brutality [of] “Israel is in full view,” said the former PLO official.

Police said they had held talks with the Abu Okla family in order to “hold a respectable funeral. Unfortunately, under the patronage and cynical exploitation of the funeral, hundreds of people had begun to disturb public order before.” [the funeral] So I started.

“When the coffin was about to leave the hospital, stones began to be thrown at the officers from the hospital yard, and the officers were forced to use riot dispersal means.”

Police released a video in which an officer outside the hospital grounds addresses the crowd. “If you don’t stop these chants and [Palestinian] Nationalist songs We will have to disperse you by force and will not let the funeral take place,” says the officer.

Abu Akle’s coffin left the hospital grounds by car and arrived at a church in Jerusalem for her funeral.

The 51-year-old reporter was He was shot in the head on Wednesday morning In the West Bank city of Jenin, during what her colleagues on the site said was Israeli fire on a small group of journalists who were covering an expected Israeli military raid.

The Israeli army said its forces returned fire after coming under “heavy fire” in Jenin and that “there is a possibility, being considered now, that journalists were injured – possibly by Palestinian gunmen”. However, it later appeared that the commander of the IDF, Lt. Gen. Aviv Kohavi, was retracting those assertions, saying, “At this point we cannot determine who was hit by her fire and we regret her death.”

A video clip of the incident showed that Abu Akleh was wearing a helmet and a protective jacket clearly marked “press”. Ali Alsmoudy Producer Al Jazeera Who was shot in the back, told The Guardian from his hospital bed that, contrary to claims by Israeli officials, there were no gunmen standing near the journalists when they were targeted.

AFP contributed to this report